Now in its sixth year, the contest asks elementary school artists to reflect on the birth of Jesus and submit an original, colour drawing that depicts some aspect of Christ's Nativity on the first Christmas morning.
The winning entry in each of three categories will receive a $50 gift certificate for a day at the movies. Additionally, a selection of drawings will be published in The Catholic Register's Christmas issue, Dec. 18. Last year's winning entry was so impressive, it adorned the front cover of the paper.
The contest is open to children in Grades 1 to 8. Entries must be original, in colour, drawn or painted on a page 8.5” x 11” or larger and illustrate some aspect of the birth of Jesus as recorded in the Gospels. We want paintings or drawings that depict the true meaning of Christmas so, please, no Santas or reindeers.
Deadline for submissions is noon on Dec. 9. Complete rules and entry details will appear in next week's paper, or can be downloaded here.
• The contest is open to children enrolled in Grades 1-8.
• One prize will be awarded to the top entry in 3 categories: Grades 7-8, Grades 4-6 and Grades 1-3.
• Entries must be original, in colour, drawn or painted on an 8.5” x 11” page, and illustrate some aspect of the birth of Jesus at the first Christmas in Bethlehem.
• We want paintings or drawings that depict the true meaning of Christmas so, please, no Santas or reindeers.
• For electronic submissions: minimum resolution 300dpi, .jpeg or PDF format.
• A completed entry form is required for every entry. All entries must include the signature/authorization of a parent or guardian.
• Electronic submissions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Please make sure to include in your email: child's Name, Address, Phone number, Grade, Age, and parent/guardian authorization.)
• Judges' decisions are final and entries may be published in The Catholic Register at the editor's sole discretion.
Entry form can be downloaded here. Please print out the form and send it with your submission.