The Catholic Register wants you. We are assembling our new team of student writers from across Canada for the 2017-18 season. In its 18th year, The Catholic Register’s award-winning Youth Speak News continues to help young people with an interest in media to develop their skills in a faith context.
The YSN program provides:
Training and Mentorship
• hands-on training in Catholic news media, reporting on stories and writing columns based on current events, issues, people and places
• professional coaching from experienced journalists at The Catholic Register
• instruction in journalism fundamentals, such as news gathering, opinion writing, photography, and newspaper design
• enhance your resume with a diverse portfolio of news articles and opinion pieces
• become a published author in an award-winning weekly newspaper
• gain journalism experience and connect with influential members of the Catholic community
• attend an expense-paid spring retreat in Toronto
• meet and greet fellow YSN writers from across Canada
• participate in skill-building seminars and workshops
• visit The Catholic Register and Salt + Light Television offices
You can see the current YSN reporters by clicking here and read their stories by clicking here.
You can also see what YSN alumni are doing to by going here.
How to apply:
1. Nomination letter
Each applicant must submit a nomination letter written by a youth minister, pastor or teacher who will vouch that the applicant has a demonstrated interest in media and communications and is a committed Catholic.
Submit a resume indicating any journalism experience (e.g. school or campus newspaper, yearbook, photography, relevant courses and other employment history and academic accomplishments.)
3. Application form
Mail, e-mail or fax the completed form along with your resume and nomination letter by June 26, 2017 to:
Jean Ko Din
Youth Speak News editor:
1155 Yonge St. Suite 401
Toronto, Ont. M4T 1W2
tel: (416) 934-3410 ext. 403
fax: (416) 934-3409